My sis and her grandbaby, Elizabeth, she is a doll!

My sis and her grandbaby, Elizabeth, she is a doll!

My nephew Will, his wife Nicole and the newest family member, my great niece Elizabeth

My nephew Will, his wife Nicole and the newest family member, my great niece Elizabeth

Mom, me, Barb and Myles (my sis and bro)

Mom, me, Barb and Myles (my sis and bro)

Missie and Uncle Myles (my brother)

Missie and Uncle Myles (my brother)

Missie and grandparents

Missie and grandparents

Missie at park in Brockville,Ont. Canada

Missie at park in Brockville,Ont. Canada

Missie and I went to Canada in October

Missie and I went to Canada in October
Mom and Jim

Part of Preston's room, he has large room, calls it his apt.

Part of Preston's room, he has large room, calls it his apt.
has a recliner and little refrig.

Missie wanted her room lime green and black

Missie wanted her room lime green and black
turned out very nice!

Left side of kitchen

Left side of kitchen

Right side of kitchen (sunflowers)

Right side of kitchen (sunflowers)

Other half of living room

Other half of living room

Part of living room

Part of living room

Part of our dining room, it is a large room

Part of our dining room, it is a large room

Our new home!

Our new home!

Jr.s shop

Jr.s shop

2 car garage

2 car garage

This is the only way it would let me post :(

Here it is December, where has time gone. I just realized this a.m. I have not posted pics of our new home, where we moved to in May. I am really bad at blogging now :( Preston is doing great! He did have a cold, but other than that, he is doing well! We are so thankful for that.Missie loves Union Bible Academy. She has moved into the dorm so she won't have to drive 1 1/2 hrs/day and during winter it would have been hard. She loves living in dorm and having her friends there. She is in choir and absolutely loves that and travels when they travel. She is maintaining a B average, and that is great! It was a big switch to switch from ACE cirriculum to textbooks, but she has done very well. We love our home, and spending our first holidays in it! Will post some pics.

Preston and Missie before surgery

Preston and Missie before surgery

Preston before surgery

Preston before surgery

Preston after his surgery

Preston after his surgery

Monday, April 28, 2008

Is it ok to be tired?

Is it ok to be tired? I must admit, I am tired. I am tired from taking care of a special boy for 20 years. I love him with my whole heart; but I am tired! Everything is so complicated when it comes to Preston. If you are easily grossed out, you had better stop reading this right now. Missie cannot understand how I can still wipe his bottom when he is so big and almost 20. Well, I would rather wipe him and know he is clean. I do wear gloves, at this stage of the game. And every time he poo-poos, he plugs the toilet. Someone suggesting flushing it part way through instead of waiting until the end; that doesn't work. And it take SO many wipes every time, that usually I have to take them all out of the potty and use the plunger so we have a working toilet again. Tonight I am so tired, and this has been a stressful day. Sometimes I hesitate to write things here, because of who I know might read it; but if you want to criticize, spread gossip or think you have a better idea (like putting him in a home) then please don't read this anymore. I have special friends who care about me that read my blog, and this is for them to read.

Everything has to be a routine. Missie stayed with friends Fri. night and said she wished our lives were "random" like theirs. Well, I believe in structure especially in children's lives. But even the road we take to church cannot be changed without his getting out of kilter. He is not violent like he was, but he still has mental illnesses and the autism that causes him to need a really structured life. This is an example. Jr. and Missie are both sick with colds so he and I went to church. Now usually Jr. stops in front of the fellowship hall so I can take my food in, then I walk to the church. Well, I wanted to park the van to be sure we got a parking spot by the ramp, and get him safely inside the church to sit in the foyer so he can talk to the people. Then I would go out and get the food and take it in the fellowship hall. But he couldn't understand why I wanted to do it that way at all. But since he thought he was making it hard on me by not doing it as I suggested, he did let me do that. So that was an improvement. But everywhere we go, it is exhausting. Getting him in and out of places, in and out of the vehicle, making sure he doesn't fall, etc. But I love him and I made up my mind when I saw the way those nurses did in the hospital; he would never be left to their mercy; as he wouldn't get the care we give him. I don't know what will happen when Jr. and I are gone; but I have prayed he will go first. But as long as I have breath and can; I will continue to care for him. Missie has taken care of him too; when he was like a baby from that brain infection, she had to help change his diapers. I know it has been hard on her, but I pray this has caused her to be more understanding and want to help others who needs help. And she is a very tender hearted, loving girl to those in need. For that I am thankful.

So life goes on, but today was especially exhausting. It was due to the fact it was rainy, and Missie is sick and was cranky. She is doing online placement tests for this new online schooling we are looking into for high school, which by the way, is FREE and the textbooks are delivered right to the door. That will help us financially, but really, I am also tired of homeschooling. Why can't God work out something for our family so that she can go to school? She is much happier going to school, and it takes a load off of me, then Preston is more relaxed, and things are simpler. Anyhow, the placement tests have a lot of Math which is her weak subject and it is going on and on, and driving her insane. So! I have to listen to that, and since it was rainy, and he has been walking down the driveway to the wood working shop since last Monday, Preston sat in his rocker and talked about how bored he was today, and that he wanted to go away, etc. etc. until by the time Jr. got home from work, I was a nervous wreck and about at my wit's end. So it has been a stressful day in this household! So I must admit I am tired of homeschooling. Now you may be a homeschooling mom and wonder how that could ever be. But if you could live with us, take care of Preston, homeschool, do the housework, and try to have some relaxation time for myself, then you would understand. I am now 50 years old and I am just tired!

Maybe tomorrow will be better? I sure do hope so. I do have to go and get blood work done, but that is no biggie. It will be a relief to get out of the house alone for a while, even to have blood drawn. Now you know how desperate I am, LOL.

Please pray for me, when you read this post. And know that I love my children with my whole heart, but I am just tired!

2 comments:

CountryMouse said...

Oh Norma,
It's no wonder you are tired sweetheart - your life is so full and it seems to me since getting to know you that you have never really been given that break you so deserve.
We are all just human and there are days when we all feel the phrase ' stop the world I want to get off' even for just a short time. I was like this last week - Karl was away and i just craved a corner where i could go on my own with no-one needing me and just have some quiet time.
If others are criticizing you or suggesting alternatives for Preston then it is just ignorance on their parts - I have often found that although some people have never experienced what others are experiencing they still believe they are experts in it. You are doing a wonderful job and Preston was very blessed when he was born into your family.
Missie is a wonderful daughter to you and as you say she will learn to appreciate that others are not as fortunate as ourselves and have needs that not many understand. I'm sure when she's older she will look back and appreciate the times she spent with preston and how she was able to help him - a special bond between them both that no-one else can experience.
I'm sorry this is a long comment but I'm so glad you felt you could write all your feelings down as I have learnt in the past if we write things down it saves them being bottled up and is somewhat of a release for us.
Take care - You are in my prayers.

urhis said...

The Lord also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. Psalm 9:9
The Father loves you and cares about you, Norma. Lean hard on Him Oh tested Soul and He will certainly bring you through. You are of more value to Him than the little sparrow. He takes infinite care of His children. He sees your pain, frustration, sorrows, and situation and He is as near as the whisper of His name. Pour out your troubled heart to Him. There are blessings obtained only through suffering. Hold On child of God. Your Friend, Cathy