My sis and her grandbaby, Elizabeth, she is a doll!

My sis and her grandbaby, Elizabeth, she is a doll!

My nephew Will, his wife Nicole and the newest family member, my great niece Elizabeth

My nephew Will, his wife Nicole and the newest family member, my great niece Elizabeth

Mom, me, Barb and Myles (my sis and bro)

Mom, me, Barb and Myles (my sis and bro)

Missie and Uncle Myles (my brother)

Missie and Uncle Myles (my brother)

Missie and grandparents

Missie and grandparents

Missie at park in Brockville,Ont. Canada

Missie at park in Brockville,Ont. Canada

Missie and I went to Canada in October

Missie and I went to Canada in October
Mom and Jim

Part of Preston's room, he has large room, calls it his apt.

Part of Preston's room, he has large room, calls it his apt.
has a recliner and little refrig.

Missie wanted her room lime green and black

Missie wanted her room lime green and black
turned out very nice!

Left side of kitchen

Left side of kitchen

Right side of kitchen (sunflowers)

Right side of kitchen (sunflowers)

Other half of living room

Other half of living room

Part of living room

Part of living room

Part of our dining room, it is a large room

Part of our dining room, it is a large room

Our new home!

Our new home!

Jr.s shop

Jr.s shop

2 car garage

2 car garage

This is the only way it would let me post :(

Here it is December, where has time gone. I just realized this a.m. I have not posted pics of our new home, where we moved to in May. I am really bad at blogging now :( Preston is doing great! He did have a cold, but other than that, he is doing well! We are so thankful for that.Missie loves Union Bible Academy. She has moved into the dorm so she won't have to drive 1 1/2 hrs/day and during winter it would have been hard. She loves living in dorm and having her friends there. She is in choir and absolutely loves that and travels when they travel. She is maintaining a B average, and that is great! It was a big switch to switch from ACE cirriculum to textbooks, but she has done very well. We love our home, and spending our first holidays in it! Will post some pics.

Preston and Missie before surgery

Preston and Missie before surgery

Preston before surgery

Preston before surgery

Preston after his surgery

Preston after his surgery

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Wed. update

Well, today was not a good day. Preston was awake more, BUT the dumb doctor whom we are not real fond of anyhow (one of the floor doctors for PICU)made a huge mistake today. He told the nurse to pull out Preston's NG tube and put a real tiny one in down to his small intestine so he could be fed. Well, she pulls it out, and it takes 3 times of trying to get the little one down, and he was almost in respiratory distress by the time they were done, and then listen to this! The dr. walks in Preston's door and says that he needs the bigger NG tube that they had just pulled out. I was in tears and very upset. I told them they had to let him calm down and rest. So he wasn't able to go on the B-pap machine right away, just stay on oxygen. I asked him why he did it, and he said, "I take full responsibility for everything that happens on the unit." Then he had the nerve to say, "This is the most I have seen him awake, do you agree?" I said, "So you torture him so he will wake up?" He said that maybe he should ask me that question at another time. I called Jr. at work in the middle of this, and he when I told him what dr. had done and that they had to put another one in, he said, "What??? Do I need to come to the hospital, and I said yes. So he came. So he told the nurse he wanted to see the dr. and when the dr. came in he started toward me saying he was sorry and Jr. told him HE was the one he was going to talk too and he said ok. He told him it was miscommunication. He had told the nurse the tube was too high, whereas she told me the dr. told her to take it out. So someone is not telling the truth. Everyone apologized but that doesn't change the fact of what happened. But they got the 2nd one in pretty easy, Jr. said. When Jr. got there and they were ready to do it, he told me to go somewhere for a while, and he stayed for it. I went to Easley and ran some errands.
After the trauma was over, Preston rested quite well. He was so hot and sweaty from it all, and I got him cooled down, and he went to sleep. He is having some tremors but not as bad as they were. Thank the Lord for that. He did have a lot this a.m. early and I asked them to give him ativan. That usually helps some. Ativan helps the nervous system as well as helps control seizures.
Overall, I think Preston is a tiny bit better. The chest exrays are looking a little better. We are a little more positive than we were on Monday. I was told my one of the nurses that this dr. from today is the most negative of all of the doctors that rotate on the unit. He is afraid to give hope and then have the patient die. But I think he is a little too cautious, maybe.
I am home to sleep tonight, I am exhausted. I will go back in a.m. and Jr. will go to work.
Keep praying for us all. Thank you for the cards, visits and we appreciate our church family so much. Our church has given us money to help us pay our bills during this time. It has been such a blessing. Our pastor, Bro. Going, hardly misses a day of coming to see us and pray with us. Many visit over and over again and when they cannot come, they call to check on Preston. We are so blessed.

1 comment:

Les said...

I anxiously await for your updates. I can't believe I've never met you and yet feel such a strong connection to you. Your family is continually in my mind and prayers. I'm so sorry for what you and Preston had to go thru at the hospital. I've had my fair share of lousy doctors already.